Motorhomes For Sale Near Me
Looking to buy a motorhome in your local area? We are the local specialists and offer a wide range of motorhomes across a range of sizes and prices. We have motorhomes for sale in Sheffield, Buxton and Ashbourne. We offer campervans in Ripley, Derby and Tamworth. Check out our range of motorhomes in Swadlincote, Burton-upon-Trent, Lichfield, Brownhills and Rugeley.
Sheffield is a city and metropolitan borough in South Yorkshire, England. The name derives from the River Sheaf which runs through the city. It is a historic part of Yorkshire, although some southern suburbs have been annexed from Derbyshire. It is situated east of Manchester, south of Leeds and north of Nottingham.
The city is in the eastern foothills of the Pennines, and the valleys of the River Don and its four tributaries, the Loxley, the Porter Brook, the Rivelin and the Sheaf. Sixty-one per cent of Sheffield's entire area is green space, and a third of the city lies within the Peak District national park. There are more than 250 parks, woodlands and gardens in the city, which is estimated to contain around 4.5 million trees.
Sheffield played a crucial role in the Industrial Revolution, with many significant inventions and technologies having developed in the city. In the 19th century, the city saw a huge expansion of its traditional cutlery trade, when stainless steel and crucible steel were developed locally, fuelling an almost tenfold increase in the population. Sheffield received its municipal charter in 1843, becoming the City of Sheffield in 1893. International competition in iron and steel caused a decline in these industries in the 1970s and 1980s, coinciding with the collapse of coal mining in the area. The Yorkshire ridings became counties in their own right in 1889, the West Riding of Yorkshire county was disbanded in 1974. The city then became part of the South Yorkshire county, this has been made up of separately governed unitary authorities since 1986.
The 21st century has seen extensive redevelopment in Sheffield, along with other British cities. Sheffield's gross value added (GVA) has increased by 60% since 1997, standing at £11.3 billion in 2015. The economy has experienced steady growth averaging around 5% annually, greater than that of the broader region of Yorkshire and the Humber.
The city has a long sporting heritage, and is home both to the world's oldest football club, Sheffield F.C., and the world's oldest football ground, Sandygate. Matches between the two professional clubs, Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday, are known as the Steel City derby. The city is also home to the World Snooker Championship, and the Sheffield Steelers, the UK's first professional ice hockey team.
Sheffield had a population of 518,090 in the 2011 census, making it the second largest city in the Yorkshire and The Humber region. The Sheffield Built-up Area, of which the Sheffield sub-division is the largest part, had a population of 685,369 also including the town of Rotherham. The district borough, governed from the city, had a population of 584,853 at the mid-2019 estimate, making it the 3rd most populous district in England. It is one of eleven English cities that make up the Core Cities Group.[failed verification]
Buxton is a spa town in the Borough of High Peak, Derbyshire, England. It is England's highest market town, sited at some 1,000 feet (300 m) above sea level.[nb 1] It lies close to Cheshire to the west and Staffordshire to the south, on the edge of the Peak District National Park. In 1974, the municipal borough merged with other nearby boroughs, including Glossop, to form the local government district and borough of High Peak.
The town population was 22,115 at the 2011 Census. Sights include Poole's Cavern, a limestone cavern; St Ann's Well, fed by a geothermal spring bottled by Buxton Mineral Water Company; and many historic buildings, including John Carr's restored Buxton Crescent, Henry Currey's Buxton Baths and Frank Matcham's Buxton Opera House. The Devonshire Campus of the University of Derby occupies historic premises. Buxton is twinned with Oignies in France and Bad Nauheim in Germany.
Although outside the National Park boundary, Buxton is in the western part of the Peak District, between the Lower Carboniferous limestone of the White Peak to the east and the Upper Carboniferous shale, sandstone and gritstone of the Dark Peak to the west. The early settlement (of which only the parish church of St Anne, built in 1625, remains) was largely made of limestone, while the present buildings of locally quarried sandstone, mostly date from the late 18th century.
At the south edge of the town, the River Wye has carved an extensive limestone cavern known as Poole's Cavern. More than 330 yards (300 metres) of its chambers are open to the public. It contains Derbyshire's largest stalactite and some unique "poached egg" stalagmites. Its name recalls a local highwayman.
Little information remains as to when Ripley was founded, but it appears in the 1086 Domesday Book, when it was held by a man called Levenot.
In 1251 Henry III granted a charter for "one market one day a week, on Wednesday, at [the] manor of Ryppeleg: and one fair each year lasting three days, on the Vigil Day and Morrow of St Helen". Ripley Fair antedates Nottingham Goose Fair. The market day was later altered to Saturdays, with an extra market on Fridays.
Medieval Ripley was just a few stone cottages and farms around a village green, with a few dwellings further afield. Corn was ground at a mill owned by the Abbot of Darley. In 1291, Ripley had "two water-mills with fish ponds".
The Ripley area has been industrialised since the late 18th century. One of the earliest firms to take advantage of local mineral resources was the Butterley Company. It was formed in 1790 by Benjamin Outram and Francis Beresford. Jessop and Wright joined as partners in 1791. Benjamin Outram and Jessop were pioneering engineers best known for their input into the rail industry and their engineering of the Cromford Canal. Outram developed the L-shaped flange rail and Jessop engineered the cast iron fish belly rail. The Little Eaton Gangway project was one of the engineering feats they completed. The engineering part of the company closed and the site of the Butterley Company was demolished in 2010. The company was latterly in three parts, Butterley Engineering, Butterley Brick and Butterley Aggregates (all separate companies). Over the last 200 years these have dealt with steelworks, coal mining, quarrying, railway, foundry and brickworks. One of the best-known examples of the company's work is the arched roof of St Pancras railway station in London, recently restored as an international terminal. Recent major Butterley achievements were the design and construction of the Falkirk Wheel, a canal boat-lift funded by the Millennium Commission and the Spinnaker Tower seen in Portsmouth Harbour as the focus of its regeneration.
Ripley was also a mining community, with collieries owned by the Butterley Company until the Coal Nationalisation Act of 1947. These included Ripley colliery (1863–1948), Britain colliery (1918–1946), Ormonde 1908–1970, and other pits at Upper and Lower Hartshay, Whiteley, Waingroves, Bailey Brook, Exhibition, Loscoe, New Langley and Denby Hall.
Burton upon Trent is an old industrial market centre in east Staffordshire. The area is famous for its beer brewing industry, which dates back to the Benedictines of Burton Abbey. The monks quickly discovering that the local waters, filtered through calcium rich rocks, were capable of brewing excellent ale.
Overlooking the market place is the 18th-c Church of St Modwen, built on the site of the old abbey. It is dedicated to an Irish princess who preached in the area during the 9th century. Many monuments to brewers can be found inside. The original Abbey was founded by a Saxon earl in 1002 and became a collegiate church after the Dissolution. Fragments now only remain of the original ecclesiastical buildings. The town itself however dates back to much earlier times and Derby Street follows the route of the old Roman road Ryknild Street.
Commercial beer production began in 1744 when Leicestershire man William Worthington opened a brewery in the town. William Bass did the same in 1777 and quickly established a reputation for fine ales. Bass and Worthington soon began to export to the Baltic States and Russia and later into India. The 19th-c expansion of the railways opened up the home market and beer became our national drink. Perhaps the most widely known of Burton's products is IPA (India Pale Ale). Originally intended for export, it was sold in the UK after being salvaged from a boat that sank carrying a cargo bound for India.
Several historic brewery buildings of interest can be visited in the town, such as the Ind Coope Brewery (1859-65) with its elegant stuccoed offices. Also the massive Bass No.2 Brewery with its famous Burton Union Room (nearly a mile long) that once held thousands of beer barrels. The massive water tower to the east at Winshill, was constructed in 1856, capable of storing the vast amounts of water needed for the brewing process.
Victoria Street is packed with 19th-c terraced cottages, built to house the brewery workers. Many fine 18th-c town houses fill the streets near the Bass Museum. Such as Nunneley House (1760) on Bridge Street, which was once the home of brewer Joseph Nunneley. In Wellington Street there is a delightful row of 19th-c almshouses built to house the poor.
Michael Bass, a member of the famous local brewing firm, became Lord Burton during Mr Gladstone's premiership. During his time in office he built the town's Gothic Town Hall, the beautiful St Paul's Church, St Margaret's Church and a number of other fine public buildings.
The main shopping centre lies to the east of the railway station. The impressive Victorian market hall still hosts regular markets - held to a charter originally granted by King John in 1210. Just beyond the market place lies the Washlands park and nature reserve, peacefully located by the Trent. An island in the river here has a holy well that once attracted pilgrims to the town.
Near the site of the old abbey is an unusual iron trestle footbridge stretching across the water meadows, known as the Stapenhill Viaduct. Also crossing the river near the weir is an impressive 32 arch stone bridge (1864). Once a strategic crossing point on the Trent, it was fought over time and time again during the English Civil War.
The Trent and Mersey canal, which runs through the centre of Burton, was once busy with barges carrying beer barrels to ports on the Mersey. Much of the old canal side architecture has been demolished and the canal is now a leisure waterway.
The annual Burton Beer Festival in September provides an excellent reason for visiting the town.
It lies on the north-eastern edge of Cannock Chase next to the River Trent; it is situated 7.9 miles (12.7 km) north of Lichfield, 9.8 miles (15.8 km) south-east of the county town of Stafford, 7.4 miles (11.9 km) north-east of Hednesford and 11.3 miles (18.2 km) south-west of Uttoxeter. At the 2011 census the population was 24,033. Rugeley is twinned with Western Springs, Illinois and, in July 1962, the towns made telephone history on national television when the chairman of Rugeley Urban District Council made the first telephone call via the new Telstar satellite to the Mayor of Western Springs. It was also featured in an article about workers' rights and town transformation in the 21st century.
Rugeley has a modern swimming pool and leisure centre, opened 2006 on Burnthill Lane. Rugeley has a skate park in Hagley Park.
Rugeley's town centre has an outdoor market three days per week on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. It also has an indoor market and a shopping centre called the Brewery Street Arcade. Rugeley has a number of well known high street names like Boots, Argos, Greggs, Costa Coffee, McDonald's, Burger King, Subway Restaurant, Tesco and Morrisons among other well known retailers. Along with these main high street retailers there are still a number of smaller Momma & Poppa style shops.
Residents of the town benefit from their proximity to Cannock Chase and indeed there is a heritage trail funded by the National Lottery linking the town to Hednesford with excellent disabled access. The trail contains numerous notice boards highlighting the town's history. The Chase has many activities including hiking, camping, mountain bike trails and the local Go Ape which is located at Birches Valley, Rugeley which is also the centre of both the Forestry Commission and Forest Live outdoor annual concerts.
Rugeley also has a state-of-the-art health centre off Sandy Lane, a replacement for its predecessor on Horsefair. A modern care home now stands on the site of the former surgery. Technically, two separate surgeries coexist there. There is also the Aelfgar Surgery in Taylors Lane. There is also the Springfields Health & Well Being Centre which caters for the Springfield and Etching Hill Areas as well as the Brereton Clinic.
Rugeley Rose Theatre is a theatre and community centre in Taylors Lane.